[MCN] 2 key reports for forest-watchers: I've got the pdf of each

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Oct 14 12:12:46 EDT 2015

Seeing it coming in 2010: (emphasis added)

"Š studies compiled here suggest that at least
some of the world's forested ecosystems already
may be responding to climate change and raise
concern that forests may become increasingly
vulnerable to higher background tree mortality
rates and die-off in response to future warming
and drought,
even in environments that are not normally
considered water-limited. Š. Overall, our review
reveals the potential for amplified tree
mortality due to drought and heat in forests
worldwide."

Craig D. Allen, Alison K. Macalady, Haroun
Chenchouni, Dominique Bachelet et al.  A global
overview of drought and heat-induced tree
mortality reveals emerging climate change risks
for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259
(2010) 660-684   doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2009.09.001

Reporting its arrival in 2015: (emphasis added)

"Our results are quite striking. First, temporal
increases of climate change-associated mortality
do not occur only in regions with temporal water
deficit increases, but also in areas without
temporal water deficit increases. Given that
temporal water deficit increases are not a global
phenomenon (Sheffield et al. 2012; Dai 2013), our
results call for more studies to examine the
impacts of recent climate changes on forest
dynamics beyond those regions with temporal water
deficit increases (Breshears et al. 2005, 2009;
van Mantgem et al. 2009; Michaelian et al. 2011;
Peng et al. 2011; Luo & Chen 2013; Williams et
al. 2013). Second, our results reveal that
climate change may intensify the effects of
conspecific competition, while reducing the
effects of interspecific competition on tree
mortality for shade-intolerant tree species. If
water availability does not change in these
forests, although some projections suggest it may
(Cook et al. 2014), this could potentially lead
to a positive effect on species coexistence,
since higher conspecific competition, rather than
interspecific competition, constitutes a primary
mechanism for species coexistence in forest
ecosystems (Condit et al. 2006; Comita et al.
2010). However, the temporal increases in both
mortality and growth could lead to faster carbon
pool turnover and less carbon storage in the
boreal forests, as indicated in tropical forests
(Brienen et al. 2015)."
LETTER
Yong Luo and Han Y. H. Chen. Climate
change-associated tree mortality increases
without decreasing water availability. Ecology
Letters, (2015)	doi: 10.1111/ele.12500
"We have only one planet and the time has come to
transform our present lifestyle and consumption
patterns in order to halt the degradation of the
Earth's natural capital ..."

From the Executive Summary, WWF:  China
Ecological Footprint: Report 2012 : Consumption,
production, and sustainability.

"Š energy consumption in 1960 was about half what
it is now [i.e., 1970] Š. Surely we had a
civilized country then, with roads, electricity,
entertainment, and so on. Š. Have we, by doubling
our energy consumption, doubled our happiness?"

Kimon Valaskakis, Peter S. Sindell, J. Graham
Smith, and Iris Fitzpatrick-Martin. The Conserver
Society. 1970. Harper & Row.

"The most painful and expensive way to deal with
global climate change will be to ignore it until
something happens that elicits powerful public
demands for immediate and Draconian action."

Jonathan Lash.  "As the earth heats up. "  Journal of Commerce August 16, 1996.