[MCN] SponCon is this Saturday

Jeremy Drake jeremy at homeresource.org
Tue Sep 15 18:20:02 EDT 2015

Hey folks!

We hope you'll join us at Home ReSource this Saturday for our annual
festival of creative reinvention.

Check out the press release below and http://www.homeresource.org/sponcon/
for featured performers, food vendors, green biz booths, and
family-friendly activities.

Thanks!
Jeremy

= = =

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*Home ReSource event celebrates creative waste reduction*
*Annual Spontaneous Construction building contest brings community together
around art, reuse*

*Missoula, Montana (September 14th, 2015)* – Home ReSource celebrates over
ten years of creative waste reduction on Saturday, September 19th at the
annual Spontaneous Construction building contest. Affectionately called
“SponCon,” this signature event brings together artists, builders,
craftspeople, local businesses, family, friends, and neighbors for a day of
serious fun at the Home ReSource building materials reuse center at the
corner of Russell and Wyoming in Missoula.

At this one-of-a-kind competition, teams have seven hours to produce art or
craft for function or fun from just about any of the reusable building
materials at Home ReSource. Creations are judged based on criteria
including quality of construction, usefulness, and beauty. All teams are
awarded prizes donated by local businesses and the top teams receive prizes
on par with the magnificence of their creations. Some creations will be
sold at the SponCon Silent Auction while the top teams’ creations will be
displayed in the window of the Merc and the lobby of the Florence on their
way to the Home ReSource Banquet & Benefit Auction on October 16th.

“Each year SponCon is a living, breathing example of Missoula’s thriving
culture of reuse in action," says Jeremy Drake, Education Program Manager
at Home ReSource. “For one glorious day, people of all ages and walks of
life come together around community, art, and creative waste reduction to
build beautiful, inspired, and inspiring objects from stuff that may
otherwise end up as trash.” Contestants and spectators alike can also
participate in free, family-friendly creative reuse activities, listen to
live music, and enjoy local food throughout the day.

Each year, an estimated 500 contestants, spectators and sponsors contribute
to the success of SponCon. Home ReSource Executive Director Katie Deuel
comments, “The turn-out we get at Spontaneous Construction reflects the
tremendous community backing that makes our non-profit business thrive.”
Deuel continues, “Our community has made Home ReSource what it is. Whether
donating materials, purchasing items, implementing creative reuse projects
or deconstructing a building, each person who interacts with Home ReSource
is amplifying the benefits of waste reduction by diverting materials from
the landfill, supporting job skills training, and contributing to a vibrant
and sustainable local economy.”

###

--
Jeremy Drake