[MCN] For Immediate Release

Jeannette Rankin Peace Center peace at jrpc.org
Mon Apr 25 17:50:29 EDT 2016

*****************FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE********************

Jeannette Rankin Peace Center & The Missoula Peace Quilters announces the

*2016 Peacemaker:  Patrick Weasel Head*

Contact:          Betsy Mulligan-Dague, 543-3955 or peace at jrpc.org

Available for Interview:         Betsy Mulligan-Dague, 543-3955 or
peace at jrpc.org

Patrick Weasel Head, 406-550-1869 or pweaselhead at bresnan.net

The JRPC Coordinating Council and Missoula Peace Quilters awards the 2016
Peacemaker award to Patrick Weasel Head. He is the 30th Peacemaker we have
made this award to in this our 30th anniversary year.

One of nine children from simple roots in Browning to one of 13 Native
American students attending a not very welcoming University of MT to living
as an openly gay man in Missoula, Patrick set out to walk a good path,
fight discrimination, relax stereotypes, enjoy the experiences of life and
make every moment count. He has reached out to others to understand, build
trust and use humor and teachable moments (in a calm way) to help us all
learn from each other and find ways to serve. Patrick has a long and varied
list of volunteer positions, including delivering Meals on Wheels and
several months as a driver for Paws Up so he could learn about how others
live and also educate visitors to MT about Native Americans. Patrick
believes in education and is passionate about mentoring disenfranchised
students to better themselves as he was helped. Patrick stepped up many
times to fill a void and serve others. He worked to break down barriers in
order to build understanding and appreciation of others. In this he set
about to be the more peaceful world he envisions.

The peacemaker award is given each year to individuals or groups who
demonstrate a long-term commitment to peace and justice and take a
leadership role in creating a better world. We look for people who “walk
the walk” in their personal and professional lives. Join us as we welcome
him to the list of honored Missoula Peacemakers and celebrate his lifetime
of commitment to a better and more peaceful, connected world at an awards
celebration on Sunday, May 22 from 4-6 pm at the Payne Family Native
American Center on the UM Campus. The Missoula Peace Quilters have just
completed a very special quilt for Patrick, as they do for each of the
award recipients.  The quilt will be unveiled and presented at the
celebration on May 22, and coffee and cake will be served at a reception
afterward.  The event is free and open to the public.

For more information about the award, please visit our website at
www.jrpc.org

PRIOR PEACEMAKER OF THE YEAR WINNERS

1986    Flo Chessin

1987    Jim Ranney

1988    Butch Turk

1989    Connie Skousen

1990    Perry Gliessmann

1991    Pat Ortmeyer

1992    Anita Doyle

1993    Beth Sirr

1994    Scott Morgan & Tom Javins

1995    Julie Grant

1996    Alice Campbell

1997    John Agner & Tammy Elser

1998    Pete Lawrenson

2000    Jim Hogan

2001    Liz Rantz

2002    Scott Nicholson & Bryony Schwan

2003    Rita Jankowski-Bradley

2004    Amy Martin

2005    Ethel MacDonald

2006    Peter Shober

2007    Josh Slotnick

2008    Carel Schneider & Women In Black

2009    Jim Caron

2010    John Baugh

2011    Jane McAllister

2012    Dan Gallagher

2013    Meyer “Mike” Chessin

2014    Claudia Brown

2015    Kathi and Glenn “Woody” Wood

Betsy Mulligan-Dague, Executive Director
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
...working to build a world that is nonviolent, socially just and
environmentally sustainable...
519 S. Higgins
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: 406-543-3955