[MCN] Traffic noise disrupts wild birds' warning calls to each other

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Apr 25 18:55:12 EDT 2016

Biology Letters Published 19 April 2016
.DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2016.0113

When the birds go unheard: highway noise disrupts information
transfer between bird species
Aaron M. Grade, Kathryn E. Sieving

Abstract
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/12/4/20160113

Highway infrastructure and accompanying vehicle noise is associated
with decreased wildlife populations in adjacent habitats. Noise
masking of animal communication is an oft-cited potential mechanism
underlying species loss in sound-polluted habitats. This study
documents the disruption of between-species information transfer by
anthropogenic noise. Titmice and chickadees broadcast specific calls
to alert kin of predator threats, and sympatric vertebrates eavesdrop
on these alarm calls to avoid predators. We tested if tufted titmouse
alarm call eavesdropping by northern cardinals is disrupted by road
noise. We broadcast recorded alarm calls to cardinals in natural
areas near and far from highways. Cardinals reliably produced
predator avoidance responses in quiet trials, but all birds in noisy
areas failed to respond, demonstrating that highway noise is loud
enough to disrupt this type of survival-related information via
masking or cognitive distraction. Birds in family Paridae are
abundant, highly social and vocal residents of woodlands across the
Holarctic whose alarm calls are used by many species to mediate
predation risks. Our work suggests that communication network
disruption is likely to be widespread, and could help explain the
pattern of reduced biodiversity near roadways.

"I wonder whether the process ordinarily referred to as growing up is
not actually a process of growing down; whether experience, so much
touted among adults as the thing children lack in, is not actually a
progressive dilution of the essentials by the trivialities of living."

Aldo Leopold. A Sand County Almanac. 1949, p.120