[MCN] The Montana Film Festival returns to The Roxy October 6-9, 2016

Roxy Theater Press Coordinator press at theroxytheater.org
Thu Sep 15 12:20:15 EDT 2016

The Roxy is happy to announce the return of the Montana Film Festival to
The Roxy Theater in Missoula, October 6-9. 2016.

Join us this year for festival hits from around the country, including the
first opportunity in Montana to see Kelly Reichardt’s *Certain Women.* Shot
in Montana, *Certain Women* is based on a book by Montana-native Maile
Meloy and stars Missoula-native Lily Gladstone.  Other films slated to
appear include *A Stray*, a SXSW hit about the Somali immigrant community
and *Tanna*, a South Pacific love story shot entirely in Vanuatu.

The festival will also welcome guest writers, directors, actors and
industry professionals. Guests joining us this year include legendary
filmmaker Charles Burnett, animator Emily Hubley and film critic Kenneth
Turan. Charles Burnett will be screening two films, To Sleep with Anger and
Killer of Sheep,  which was among the first titles named to the Library of
Congress’ National Film Registry. Emily Hubley's films are in the permanent
collection of the Museum of Modern Art and she created the animated
sequences for Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Kenneth Turan is a film critic for
the Los Angeles Times, his latest book “Not to be Missed: Fifty-four
Favorites from a Lifetime of Film” documents his all-time favorite movies
from the silent era to modern times.

Festival special events include Criticism Now with Kenneth Turan, a Table
Read of an in-progress film script and masterclasses with festival guests
at The School of Media Arts at the University of Montana. We’ve also teamed
with our neighbors on The HIp Strip for the Hip Strip Block Party and
Carnival:  games, fun, music, movies and more to be held in the Missoula
Senior Citizens Center parking lot.

Those outside of Missoula are not out of luck, this year MTFF will be
simulcasting select festival programming to participating theaters across
the state.  We’ll also have something for the younger demo, when The Roxy’s
kids’ festival, Hootenanny celebrates its third year during MTFF. Be on the
lookout for our special kids’ programming including feature films, shorts,
group activities and the ever-popular ninja training.

You can get more information and see our growing festival lineup at
montanafilmfestival.org.