[MCN] Rural areas have hard time going off-grid with solar

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Jan 7 10:51:07 EST 2017

Off-grid power in remote areas will require special business model to succeed
OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY
Public Release: 5-Jan-2017

Low-cost, off-grid solar energy could provide significant economic
benefit to people living in some remote areas, but a new study
suggests they generally lack the access to financial resources,
commercial institutions and markets needed to bring solar electricity
to their communities.

JOURNAL
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032116309315
'

--
==-------------------------------------------------==--------------------------------------------------==
"We describe the "landscape trap" concept, whereby entire landscapes
are shifted into, and then maintained (trapped) in, a highly
compromised structural and functional state as the result of mul-
tiple temporal and spatial feedbacks between human and natural
disturbance regimes. The landscape trap concept builds on ideas like
stable alternative states and other relevant concepts, but it
substantively expands the conceptual thinking in a number of unique
ways. In this paper, we (i) review the literature to develop the
concept of landscape traps, including their general features; (ii)
provide a case study as an example of a landscape trap from the
mountain ash (Eucalyptus regnans) forests of southeastern Australia;
(iii) suggest how landscape traps can be detected before they are
irrevocably established; and (iv) present evidence of the generality
of landscape traps in different ecosystems worldwide."

David B. Lindenmayer et al. Newly discovered landscape traps produce
regime shifts in wet forests PNAS Early Edition
www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1110245108
==--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Predicting changes in forests confronts three major sources of
uncertainty: predicting weather and climate, predicting tree species'
predicting weather exist because climate projection models differ and
downscaling climate is difficult, particularly where weather stations
are sparse. Challenges in predicting responses of individual tree
species to climate are a result of species competing under a climate
regime that we have not seen before and they may not have experienced
before. .... Despite the uncertainty, some trends are more likely
than others. We present estimates of the relative species composition
of future forests in British Columbia."

Fred L. Bunnell & Laurie L. Kremsater. Migrating Like a Herd of Cats:
Climate Change and Emerging Forests in British Columbia. Journal of
Ecosystems and Management 13(2):1-24 2012.