[MCN] Drought & wildlife: Jaguars do better where it's wetter

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jan 10 09:27:40 EST 2017

Biological Conservation Volume 206, February 2017, Pages 132 142
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2016.09.027

Predicting carnivore distribution and extirpation rate based on human
impacts and productivity factors; assessment of the state of jaguar
(Panthera onca) in Venezuela
WBodzimierz Jdrzejewski et al

Highlights

"Carnivores depend on joint effects of anthropogenic and environmental factors.

"Jaguars disappear faster in dry, unproductive areas.

"Chances of persistence are higher in humid and productive areas.

"Carnivore declines cannot be predicted from human density alone.

Abstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320716304748

The worldwide decline in carnivore populations has been attributed to
various human impacts. However, our understanding of the mechanisms
behind these declines is insufficient to predict the timing and
location of local extinctions. We collected data on presence/absence
and time since extirpation of jaguars across Venezuela. To test if
human impacts or ecosystem productivity better explain the observed
spatial variation in probability of jaguar occurrence we compared
logistic regression models fit with different combinations of
anthropogenic and environmental variables. Similarly, we modelled the
time since extirpation, using a multiple regression approach. Our
study supported the hypothesis that jaguar extirpations and
distribution are determined by a joint effect of anthropogenic
factors and environmental variables, mainly those related with
ecosystem productivity. Human population density and habitat
alterations exerted strong negative effects on jaguar populations,
while annual precipitation, mean temperature, forest cover, primary
productivity, and other vegetation indices had positive effects. The
strength of human impact is shaped by ecosystem productivity: jaguars
disappear faster in dry, unproductive areas, and survive better in
humid, productive areas even when human densities are higher. We
estimated that jaguars in Venezuela have been extirpated from
approximately 26% of the territory of Venezuela; present jaguar range
covers approximately 66% of the country. We demonstrate that human
population density alone cannot adequately explain past extirpations
nor predict future jaguar declines. We conclude that the predicted
future growth of the human population will not necessarily determine
jaguar declines, and proper management and conservation programs
could potentially prevent jaguar extirpations.

--
==-------------------------------------------------==--------------------------------------------------==
"We describe the "landscape trap" concept, whereby entire landscapes

David B. Lindenmayer et al. Newly discovered landscape traps produce
regime shifts in wet forests PNAS Early Edition
www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1110245108
"Challenges in predicting responses of individual tree species to
climate are a result of species competing under a climate regime that
we have not seen before and they may not have experienced before."

Fred L. Bunnell & Laurie L. Kremsater. Migrating Like a Herd of Cats:
Climate Change and Emerging Forests in British Columbia. Journal of
Ecosystems and Management 13(2):1-24 2012.