[MCN] Join Missoula's Energy Smart Challenge

paul wheaton paul at richsoil.com
Thu Jul 6 17:49:40 EDT 2017

Abby,

I suspect that you will entirely ignore what I am about to say.

I applaud your efforts to reduce greenhouse gasses.   And, I would
like to make a few suggestions that will have about ten times greater
impact than all of the suggestions on your website combined.

For people that are on the grid, in montana .... the light bulb thing
... okay, this is gonna sound really weird, but ....    an
incandescent light bulb is actually a rather efficient form of heat.
And in the winter, in montana, we need heat and light.   So for
somebody that has electric heat (and arguably, natural gas) you can
save 50% to 90% on your electric heat bill by smart use of
incandescent light.

Here is a video where a single incandescent light cut 87% off of my
electric heat bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqJoXyBuxRw

and here is my ted talk that covers this a bit more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_7I-hgtQo4&t=721s

Instead of teaching people about low flow shower heads, I would teach
people on going "poo-less".   Their shower time tends to shrink from
the national average of 8 minutes per shower to 1.5 minutes.   And
they also tend to need to shower less often.

Agriculture is nearly half of each person's carbon footprint (and
petroleum footprint).   Missoula is the garden city.  Geoff Lawton
says "all of the world's problems can be solved in a garden."   While
that is not entirely true, there is a lot of truth to it in this case.

More:

https://permies.com/t/51417
https://permies.com/t/60481
https://permies.com/t/3069
https://permies.com/t/2446
https://permies.com/missoula

The important thing is that each adult is responsible for about 60
tons of CO2 per year.   If futzing with lightbulbs will make more than
a 1% difference in somebody's carbon footprint, I think they first
need to learn about how to bring a light bulb closer to the human.
But if a person is using electric heat, we can carve off 40 to 45 tons
per year with some pretty simple stuff.

I suspect you will ignore this as a buncha "crazy".   But I feel
better having mentioned it.

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
domination:  http://richsoil.com/email