[MCN] News Alert // Community Kickoff Oct. 18 for Downtown Master Plan Update

Kalina Wickham info at missouladowntown.com
Wed Oct 3 11:29:47 EDT 2018

*PUBLIC INVITED TO COMMUNITY KICKOFF OCT. 18 FOR DOWNTOWN MASTER PLAN
UPDATE*

The Downtown Missoula Partnership (DMP) will kick-off the Community
Visioning process to update the Downtown Master Plan on Thursday, Oct. 18,
2018 from 5:30-7 pm at the Wilma Theater (131 S. Higgins). All community
members are invited to the presentation, which will be the first of many
occasions Missoulians can offer input during the year-long planning process
that will redefine the future of Downtown Missoula.

The DMP has enlisted Dover, Kohl & Partners (DK&P) to guide the Missoula
community through a reassessment of the 2009 Downtown Master Plan and the
development of a new strategic plan to serve as the primary guiding tool
for the public and private sectors. With more than 30 years of urban
planning experience and multiple awards from the American Planning
Association (APA) and the Congress for New Urbanism, DK&P has assembled a
team of experienced professionals in the areas of urban planning, historic
preservation, economic development, parking and transportation, parks,
housing and public engagement to build a robust and innovative Master Plan
that builds on Downtown’s authentic place.

Representatives from DK&P and their sub-consultants will make their first
visit to Missoula October 17-19, 2018 and will immerse themselves in
learning about the Heart of Missoula, named America’s Great Neighborhood in
2017 by the APA. Jason King, Principal and Senior Director of DK&P, will
serve as the principal project director, and Meredith Bergstrom will serve
as the program manager. The team will tour Downtown Missoula, meet with
city and Downtown leadership, and host the Community Kick-Off Presentation
at the Wilma Theater. They will also meet with more than a dozen
stakeholder groups in a variety of areas, including business development,
parks, parking, education, transportation, housing, arts, development, and
more. People attending the kick off meeting will have the opportunity to
interact with the consultants and provide invaluable feedback.

“It is an exciting time for our community as we assemble together for this
very important visioning for our future,” said Tim France, owner of
Worden’s Market and President of the Downtown Business Improvement District
Board of Directors. “Downtown is the Heart of Missoula, and everyone who
lives here is vested in this place. It is what defines us and sets us apart
from anywhere USA. Our community’s engagement in updating the strategic
plan for Downtown is essential and valued, as we continue to build on this
vibrant city center for centuries to come. We want to fill every seat in
the Wilma on Oct. 18 and learn firsthand what the community wants Downtown
Missoula to be 10 years from now.”

For more information, visit www.missouladowntown.com, email
info at missouladowntown.com, or follow MissoulaDowntown on Facebook.

*Kalina Wickham*