[MCN] Rousing streets sing-out challenges the fossil fuel combustion industry: What if we start with a song?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jul 12 16:07:03 EDT 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgBtHoIO4g <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGgBtHoIO4g>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“That social influences shape every person’s practices, judgments and beliefs is a truism to which anyone will readily assent."

“How, and to what extent, do social forces constrain people’s opinions and attitudes? This question is especially pertinent in our day.”

Solomon E. Asch. Opinions and Social Pressure.

Scientific American. November 1955

“Thirty-five years ago, Yale psychologist Irving Janis published an essay in the Yale Alumni Magazine explaining how a group of intelligent people working together to solve a problem can sometimes arrive at the worst possible answer.”

"Members consider loyalty to the group the highest form of morality.”

“Nobody today says, My area is groupthink. But what emerged subsequent to groupthink was an area called "judgment and decision making," which is one of the most important areas in all of psychology. In fact Danny Kahneman won the 2002 Nobel Prize based on his research into how rational people make irrational decisions.

Philip Zimbardo '59PhD
Professor Emeritus of Psychology, Stanford University

https://yalealumnimagazine.com/articles/1947/a-brief-history-of-groupthink