[MCN] TAC Alert!
rattlefarm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 17:31:12 EDT 2019
*Final Trapping Advisory Committee meeting coming right up!*
*April 2–3, FWP Wild Outdoor Educational Center*
2668 Broadwater Ave., Helena, MT
Committee members decided to have one more meeting. This is the last chance
to let the TAC know your ideas for *trapping* *reform*. Public comment is
heard 12-1pm both days. *Testimony in person is powerful*, but if you can’t
be there*, please send your comments to the committee* c/o John Vore ~
jvore at mt.gov and to the Fish and Game Commission, fwpcomm at mt.gov.
*The committee* *needs to know Montanans care deeply about the dangers to
people and wildlife caused by indiscriminate recreational trapping. THANK
YOU FOR SHARING YOUR STAKE IN THIS!*
*Hot Button Issues—What is most important to you?*
• Increase setbacks for all traps, including water sets, from trails and
roads to 500 feet from 50 feet.
• Require signage at trailheads where traps are set or can be legally set.
• Require a daily trap-limit check; 48-hrs under special circumstances
(i.e. illness). A trapper caught not checking traps within time limit loses
license for a year. Second offense, loses license for life.
• Require mandatory reporting of *all animals* caught in traps to increase
knowledge of population data, injuries, and harm to non-target species
including endangered species, domestic animals and livestock.
• Require *all trappers* to be licensed and regulated.
• Designate several trap-free areas in every Montana county.
• Raise the price of a trapping license (now $20) substantially to be in
line with the consumption of a precious resource.
• Trappers must compensate pet victims’ owners for vet bills and trauma.
• Ban recreational trapping in endangered species’ habitat.
• Suspend recreational trapping of beaver to combat climate change.
• Mandatory education for all trappers must be in person, with testing.
*Thanks for your efforts—They count!*
Your friends at Footloose Montana
Constance J. Poten
4175 Rattlesnake Drive
Missoula, MT 59802
This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this
message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes,
or disclose its contents to any other person without permission from its
author. Thank you for your cooperation.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Missoula-Community-News