[MCN] Encore rant : 2 emergencies boiled down to basics: COVID-19 mortality and CO2- driven mortality compared

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Apr 2 10:31:24 EDT 2020

COVID-19 mortality could exceed 100s of thousands. CO2-driven  mortality could reach 1000s of millions.

Action to prevent or reduce COVID-19 mortality was delayed until threat of death was imminent. Action to prevent or reduce CO2-driven mortality may also be delayed until deaths are imminent

COVID-19  mortality has begun at attention-getting scale. CO2-driven mortality has also begun but not yet at the same attention-getting scale.

COVID-19 mortality may subside over time. CO2-driven mortality is very likely to increase over time .

Reducing risk of COVID-19 mortality requires changes in how we live our daily lives, right down to household and individual level including travel. Reducing risk of CO2-driven  mortality requires changes in how we live our daily lives, right down to household and individual level including travel.

Financial, economic, and social disruption from COVID-19 gives a preview of financial, economic, and social disruption as CO2-driven mortality starts taking lives of today’s young and yet to be born.

End rant

Lance
“It’s time that everyone, from the humble homeowner to the highest levels of business and government, rethink their relationship with energy and take action.

"Relying on renewables alone won’t be enough.”

<<https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikehughes1/2019/08/02/climate-change-18-months-to-save-the-world/#166763c749bd>>

“Collective action works; we have proved that. But to change everything, we need everyone.

"Each and every one of us must participate in the climate resistance movement.”

Greta Thunberg, youth climate strike leader in Sweden.
Luisa Neubauer, German climate activist.
Angela Valenzuela, Fridays for Future in Santiago, Chile.

<<https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/29/why-we-strike-again>>