[MCN] Peace Center Honors 34th Peacemaker

Jeannette Rankin Peace Center peace at jrpc.org
Mon Apr 27 14:16:08 EDT 2020

*For Immediate Release*

*April 27, 2020*

*Contact: Betsy Mulligan-Dague, 406-274-6171 or store at jrpc.org
<store at jrpc.org> *

*                 KD Dickinson, kd at porticorealestate.com
<kd at porticorealestate.com>*

*Peace Center Honors their 34th Peacemaker*

Each spring for the last 34 years, the Jeannette Rankin Peace Center and
the Missoula Peace Quilters have honored a local Peacemaker. These are the
unsung heroes among us who walk the walk of peace and justice and inspire
us with their long-term commitment to a better world. We are thrilled to
announce that our honoree this year is KD Dickinson. She is the founder of
Portico Real Estate and her business and personal mission has always
centered on people over profits --* “*to honor diversity, build community
and create a lifestyle that promotes the health and well-being of our
planet and work to bring integrity and trust into the real estate
profession while creating tremendously satisfying and fulfilling lifelong
relationships with the people in our community.” That sense of people over
profit makes her a perfect Peacemaker for 2020 when we so need to remember
our humanity and our connections to each other.

KD is also known for her courage – as the first out gay woman firefighter
back in the 70’s and not afraid to stand up for the values she holds dear
--  smart growth, open space, saving agricultural land, housing for the low
income population, green building and the city’s anti-discrimination
ordinance to name a few. She was the only realtor among the vocal advocates
of a bond that preserved Mt Jumbo in 1995. She has helped countless people,
often times at no cost and she has given generously of her time, talent and
treasure to many of our local organizations.

This year, we are unable to celebrate in the same way we usually do with a
large gathering, music, food and lots of speeches! But KD’s history of
service to so many nonprofits in our community has given us the idea for
the perfect way to celebrate and honor her.

We invite the Missoula community to make a donation in honor of our 2020
Peacemaker KD Dickinson to JRPC or *ANY* participating organization during
the Missoula Gives event which runs from 5 pm April 30 to 7 pm May 1. Not
only will we be able to see the impact KD has had around Missoula with
donations to several of our organizations, but we can also truly celebrate
our connections to each other through this remarkable lady. KD Dickinson’s
service to our community runs deep. We will plan a gathering in her honor
when we are able and present her with the unique quilt made by the Missoula
Peace Quilters as we do for every honoree. In the meantime, we ask you to
join us in letting KD know we appreciate her commitment to justice,
sustainability and peace.

The community is also invited to nominate someone they would like to see
honored as a Peacemaker in 2021 as well as nominating a young person
between the ages of 5 and 18 for our Youth Peacemaker which we hope to
honor in the fall with a cash prize. Both nomination forms can be found on
our website, www.jrpc.org

PAST PEACEMAKERS

1986      Flo Chessin

1987      Jim Ranney

1988      Butch Turk

1989      Connie Skousen (deceased)

1990      Perry Gliessmann

1991      Pat Ortmeyer

1992      Anita Doyle

1993      Beth Sirr

1994      Scott Morgan & Tom Javins

1995      Julie Grant (deceased)

1996      Alice Campbell (deceased)

1997      John Agner & Tammy Elser

1998      Pete Lawrenson

2000      Jim Hogan

2001      Liz Rantz

2002      Scott Nicholson (deceased) & Bryony Schwan

2003      Rita Jankowski-Bradley

2004      Amy Martin

2005      Ethel MacDonald

2006      Peter Shober

2007      Josh Slotnick

2008      Carel Schneider & Women In Black

2009      Jim Caron

2010      John Baugh (deceased)

2011    Jane McAllister

2012      Dan Gallagher (deceased)

2013      Meyer “Mike” Chessin (deceased)

2014      Claudia Brown

2015      Kathi and Glenn “Woody” Wood

2016      Patrick Weasel Head

2017     Mary Poole

2018      Steve McArthur

2019      Fernanda Menna Barreto Krum & Robert Rivers

Betsy Mulligan-Dague, Executive Director
Carol Schwartz, Program Director
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
...working to build a world that is nonviolent, socially just and
environmentally sustainable...
519 S. Higgins
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: 406-543-3955