[MCN] Why we don’t panic about climate change like we do coronavirus

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Mar 8 17:17:35 EDT 2020

MarketWatch March 6, 2020
Why don’t we panic about climate change like we do coronavirus?
Short-term politics and human nature shape a bias to address only what’s right in front of us

By Rachel Koning Beals
<<https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-dont-we-panic-about-climate-change-like-we-do-coronavirus-2020-03-06 <https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-dont-we-panic-about-climate-change-like-we-do-coronavirus-2020-03-06>>>

On August 21, 2009, The Wall Street Journal reported that “…many scientists say deep emissions cuts are necessary … to prevent … dangerous consequences of global warming,” and concluded that,  "Getting from here to there would require a massive economic shift.”

There’s likely been no better summary of the Green New Deal’s basic rationale. In just these few words, the Journal pointed directly to a dangerous trend, identified how to turn it around, and did that 10 years before the Sunrise Movement caught the attention of newly elected US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

<<https://mountainjournal.org/green-new-deal-faces-uphill-fight-in-wyoming-and-montana-coal-country <https://mountainjournal.org/green-new-deal-faces-uphill-fight-in-wyoming-and-montana-coal-country>>>