[MCN] Australia's 'Black Summer' Fires forced months-long heating all the way up to the stratosphere

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Apr 12 11:50:50 EDT 2021

Australia's 'Black Summer' Fires Have Left a Shocking Effect on Earth's Atmosphere <https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiECN1XTJRI0gFAd2gdMVr470qGQgEKhAIACoHCAowlv_6CjDu3vICMIHFoQY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>
The scorching destruction of Australia's Black Summer bushfires between 2019 and 2020 provided an ominous glimpse of fire's reach in our hotter, dryer world, ...
ScienceAlert <https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMJb_-gow7t7yAg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen>11 hours ago

Excerpt : Just weeks ago, scientists observed that the amount of smoke spewed from the blaze into the atmosphere rivaled that of a great volcanic eruption <https://www.sciencealert.com/australian-bushfires-spewed-a-volcanic-eruption-worth-of-aerosols-into-the-atmosphere>. Now, researchers say the giant smoke cloud was so immense, it measurably heated the stratosphere for months on end.

In a new study <https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL092609> led by first author and climate modeler Pengfei Yu from China's Jinan University, scientists simulated the plume's emergence and evolution, showing the worst documented wildfires in Australian history left a lasting impact on the region's skies.
"Extreme wildfires can inject smoke into the upper troposphere and even into the stratosphere under favorable meteorological conditions," the researchers write in their paper <https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL092609>. "The higher the smoke is injected, the longer it will persist and the wider its extent."

“We live in a strange world. Where we think we can buy or build our way out of a crisis that has been created by buying and building things.”

Greta Thunberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvXc14g3AQ