[MCN] Jocko Valley being attacked by proposed asphalt plant and million cubic yard gravel pit

Jim Coefield webmaster at wildrockies.org
Fri Sep 9 11:46:56 EDT 2022

Howdy folks, been a long time since I’ve written to the list.

But this issue is dear to me.

Riverside Contracting has submitted a permit to the Montana Department of Environmental Quality to operate an asphalt plant and 1,000,000 cubic yard gravel pit in the Jocko Valley, a mile north of Arlee. The proposal would see 157 acres of agricultural lands surrounded by small homesteads and residences and tribal lands converted to an industrial development churning out tons of pollutants, and disrupting wildlife and other environmental, social and cultural values — not to mention our lives.

This pit would sit 1/4 mile from my house, and the resulting noise, light pollution, and disruption to what all surrounding residents have valued: a quiet, tranquil environment filled with birds and wildlife, horse ranches and orchards, market gardens and the the Garden of 1,000 Buddhas. The Buddha Garden sits 1/2 mile west of the proposed gravel pit, and the peaceful beauty and meditative environment would be desecrated..

So this is a personal plea.

Over the years I have operated and managed this list serve as a place for the Missoula Community to post their issues, jobs and other things — supporting all of you in your endeavors. But I’m asking you to realize that Missoula’s rapid growth and development is forcing industrial developments into surrounding areas. The Jocko Valley lies within the Flathead Reservation, just a 15 minute drive north of the Wye intersection of I-90 and US-93, and has always been a quiet refuge for its residents. But with high density suburban housing projects (like the denied Serene Arlee Subdivision proposal) to gravel pits and asphalt plants, the Jocko Valley has become the newest target for developers.

Many neighbors close to the proposed site have joined together to lead the fight against this gravel pit and asphalt plant, seeing it not just for the monstrosity it would be, but the foot-in-the-door to a rush of new development that would destroy the character and culture of the Jocko Valley forever.

Friends of the Jocko was incorporated a few months ago as a nonprofit to lead the way, as we work to protect all that we, and all other Valley residents hold dear.

https://friendsofthejocko.org <https://friendsofthejocko.org/>

I ask that everybody take a look at our website, and learn about his issue, and how development is poised to overrun the hidden little valley just north of Missoula. And please go to our comments page, and fill out some comments to send to the Montana DEQ, which legally has to consider your concerns as this proposal works through the permitting process.

Also, we need to raise substantial funds. We have retained Ferguson Law in Missoula to represent us, and to protect our rights, and force the State into following its laws. We have discovered that the 2021 Montana Legislature's HB 599 gutted any remaining, and meaningful environmental regulation out of the State’s Opencut Mining Act — and the Gianforte Administration's efforts to develop Montana with disregard to our Constitutional rights to a clean and healthful environment, right to know and to participate in agency decision making— that the Montana DEQ’s permitting process has turned into a rubber stamp for industry.

I haven’t asked for this list to contribute any funds to support it for several years. I ask instead that you support the work of Friends of the Jocko and contribute to their efforts. Sorry for the long winded email, but I wanted to bring everybody up do date on this issue, and what I have been focusing on. I will, time-t- time put information out letting folks know about what we are doing to protect the Jocko Valley, and how you can help.

Jim Coefield
List Admin, Missoula Community News
President, Friends of the Jocko