[MCN] Right-wing "conservation" event next week

Derek Goldman derekmgold at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:04:08 EST 2023

Greetings. I wanted to flag a dubious event occurring at Garden City Harvest next week that is being sponsored by a national,  free-market-conservative, "conservation" organization (the American Conservation Coalition), who is apparently to trying gain a toehold in Montana. (The event<https://www.facebook.com/events/2264607940367640/> is called "Marshall Mountain Info Night," but it doesn't actually appear to have any affiliation with the City, the County, or other local organizations that have been working to secure the future of Marshall Mountain. I am a volunteer board member of one of those groups).

The staff person<https://www.facebook.com/kaleigh.cunningham/about> for Amer. Conservation Coalition in Missoula who is organizing next week's event is former employee and activist for the Koch brothers' funded, Americans for Prosperity (as well as other conservative/libertarian orgs), and she organized multiple outreach events<https://www.facebook.com/events/465645944369776> for AFP-Montana in support of Sen. Steve Daines' 2020 reelection.

(No disrespect intended here at all for Garden City Harvest, who generously allows local nonprofits to rent their community space. I think they just didn't vet this one well.)

Just sharing to flag potential activities that co-opt other issues to build a conservative movement. -Derek

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right."